CFHS code : BE73
Parish : St Bene’t
Inscription : In Loving Memory of MARY SUSANNA TAYLOR d May 27 1914 aged 70 also HENRY THOMAS TAYLOR husband of the above d November 14 1932 aged 82 and of their daughter MABEL ROSE WILSHER d Feb 6 1970 aged 89
Monument : Headstone/Kerb stones
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
This small headstone, with corner posts & kerbs, has been hidden in undergrowth for many years. It is located 2 rows east of the west path. The metal letters are mostly intact and the kerbs still in place although not all attached.
In Loving Memory of MARY SUSANNA TAYLOR Who fell asleep May 27, 1914. Aged 70
“Grant her Lord eternal rest.”
Also HENRY THOMAS TAYLOR husband of the above Who died November 14. 1932. Aged 82.
And of their daughter MABEL ROSE WILSHER died Feb 6 1970 aged 89 years
Mary Susanna Taylor (née Cooper) ( c.1844 – 27 May 1914)
Mary was born in Rottingdean, Brighton and baptised there on 7 April 1844. She was the daughter of agricultural labourer John Cooper and his wife Charlotte. By the age of 17 she was living and working at 2 Upper Harley Street, as a servant in Henry Thomas’ household. She later worked as a cook before marrying Henry Taylor on 3 August 1874 in Brighton. The couple had two children: John Henry (1875-1960) and Mabel Rose (1880-1970). Henry worked as an under butler at a Cambridge college and the family lived at 4 Mill Lane (1881) and then at 29 Trumpington Street (1891). By 1901 Henry had changed career and was running a Lodging House from 29 Trumpington Street. They continued to run it until Mary died aged 70 years.
Henry Thomas Taylor (c.1850 – 14 November 1932)
Henry was born in Picadilly, London and was the son of Henry Taylor. He stayed at 29 Trumpington Street until at least 1915 but by 1920 had moved to live at 10 Marshall Road with daughter Mabel. Henry died at Marshall Road at the age of 82.
Mabel Rose Wilsher (née Taylor) (17 March 1880 – 6 February 1970)
Mabel was the Henry and Mary’s only daughter. She lived at home with her parents and helped them to run the Lodging House on Trumpington Street. She married widower Daniel Wilsher (1876-1957) in 1927. Daniel was a bootmaker who ran a shop at 8a St Andrew’s Hill and whose wife Frances Alice had died the previous year. He lived at 123 Blinco Grove, which was the next street to where Mabel lived with her father. The couple lived at 10 Marshall Road (until at least 1945) and by 1950 the couple had moved to 8 Royal Albert Buildings on Hills Road. Daniel died in 1957, and Mabel died at home in 1970 a few weeks before her 90th birthday.
by Claire Martinsen
If you have any information about this family, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]