CFHS code : BE28

Parish : St Bene’t

Inscription : WILLIAM HENRY WIGGINTON d Sept [28] [1890] aged 53

Monument : Headstone/Kerb stones (part missing)

Above information amended from Cambridge Family History Society Survey

The grave set in September 2020.

Monument

This broken & badly eroded headstone is located about 4 rows west of the central path. The kerbstones are still in place.

Inscription

WILLIAM HENRY WIGGINTON d Sept [28] [1890] aged 53

William Henry Wigginton (1837 –  28 September 1890)

William was born in Tadlow and was the eldest son of John and Eliza (née Heading). His father ran a large farm called ‘New England’  covering 400 acres. William also worked as a farmer and aged 24 was living with his sister Ellen at ‘Hungry Hall Farm’ in Broughton, Huntingdonshire, where he farmed 234 acres and employed 10 people. He married Mary Folbigg (1840-) on 4 December 1866 in Everton, Bedfordshire and they had at least seven children: Ada Mary (1867-1956), Minnie Eliza (1869-1958), Rosa Jane (1871-1873), John George (1873-1968), Ethel Sarah (1876-1947), Emma Mabel (1879-1948) and Olive Rosa (1883-1969).

The family lived at Hill Farm in Croydon – a village ten miles south west of Cambridge and all the children except Olive were born in the village.  In 1871  William was farming 274 acres of land and employed 10 people on the farm.  In August 1870 William Ilett pleaded guilty to setting fire to a stack of straw on William’s farm.  He had fired at a stack of straw the previous day belonging to another farmer named James Russell. ‘Prisoner pleaded that he committed the offences whilst under the influence of drink, and that he had no bad feeling against either of the prosecutors. He was very sorry – His Lordship, however strongly remarked upon the fires taking place on two consecutive days and sentenced prisoner to five years’ penal servitude’.

By 1881 the family had move to live at Popal Row in Bourn, and William was working as a district surveyor.  In 1890 he and Mary were working as caretakers of West House at the Leys School.  He died at Addenbrooke’s Hospital and was buried at Mill Road Cemetery on 2 October.

Source:

CFHS transcription of Parish Burial records

Ancestry

Newspaper archives

by Mary Naylor and Claire Martinsen

[If you have any further  information about this person, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]

 

William Henry Wigginton