CFHS code : AG175
Parish : St Andrew the Great
Inscription : In Memory of [JOAN RHODA] the beloved wife of [JOHN] CONSTABLE also WILLIAM ———– son of the —–
Monument : Headstone/Stone cross (broken)
Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey
Lat Lon : 52.202751, 0.13649762
Located to the east of the west path hidden under a bush. We were unable to check the inscription on this monument but used the grave register to establish the identities of those buried here. W H Constable and Julia Chapman. A note in the margin informs us that there are five more people buried in the two graves that are in row 3, plots 8 and 9 the other grave being AG174
Inscription this may be the wording
In Memory of ADELINE RHODA the beloved wife of JOHN CONSTABLE
Also WILLIAM ———– son of the —–
Adeline Rhoda Constable (née Battell) (12 August 1833 – 1867)
Adeline was the daughter of Edward and Sarah Battell and was baptised on 28 June 1837. Her father was a master tailor. In 1851 she was living with her family at 5 Market Street and was working alongside three of her four sisters as a milliner.
She married William Henry Constable at Holy Trinity Church on August 16 1854. William was a stained glass artist and the family went to live in Warwick, where their three children were born: Caroline Emma (1855-1915), Alice Julia and Ernest William (both buried in this grave). Adeline died in Warwick aged 34 years old and is believed to have been buried there.
William Henry Constable (22 October 1830 – 13 October 1892)
William was born in Bury St Edmunds Suffolk and was the son of Keeble and Harriett (née Clodd), brother of Keeble and Thomas. He was baptised at St Mary’s Square Wesleyan Chapel in Bury St. Edmunds on 1 December 1830. The family had moved to Cambridge by at least 1847, where Keeble worked as a millwright and machine inventor and aged 21 William was already working as a glass stainer. After he was widowed he returned to Cambridge and lived 29 Hills Road, Cambridge (1871). He married Mary Ann Wright (1835-) in 1871 but the couple appear to have lived separate lives. In 1881 William was living at 4 College Terrace with children Julia and William before moving with Julia to 6 Petersfield (1891). Mary meanwhile lived at Devonshire Road with her companion Susannah Lambert.
William worked as stained glass artist and founded ‘The Cambridge Stained Glass Works’ which principally produced church windows. He won a number of ‘gold and silver medal at various exhibitions and [was] favoured with Royal patronage’ (although no detail on this royal commission has been found). In June 1872 The Cambridge Chronicle and Journal reported that Wiliam was preparing a new west window for St. Clement’s Church, depicting the Presentation of Jesus, the Anunciation and the Adoration. Before being placed at St. Clement’s it was ‘for some time on view at the International Exhibition, as specimens of this description of work. The same artist has finished an east window for St. Peter’s, Bengeworth, Worcestershire. This is in the decorated style, and has been inspected and very much admired by many of those locally interested in church window illumination…..the fall of the drapery is particularly noticeable and the epxression of features is always life-like in Mr. Constable’s treatment, rendering it distinguishable from the petrified or ‘dummy’ looking figures in glass one sometimes sees stuck up in places which ought to be free from such abominable disfigurements’.
He also designed windows for All Saints’ Church, Newmaret which was consecrated in September 1877 and the Chapel of St. James the Greater, Hatley St George, Cambridgeshire. He is also known to have designed a window at St. Botolph’s Church, more of which can be read here. In 1876 William’s work was part of the British Section of the International Exhibition of Philadelphia. In May 1889 he designed and executed a memorial window in Over church, commissioned by a Mrs Buller in memory of her mother, father and husband.
He died at home at the age of 61. A short obituary in the Cambridge Chronicle and Journal described him as ‘William. H. Constable F.S.A..sole proprietor of the well-known Cambridge Stained Glass Works, and one of our most respected tradesmen’.
William Ernest Constable ( 1862 – 18 March 1885)
William was born in Warwick and by 1881 was assisting his father in the family stained glass business. He died at the Avenue (now Brooklands Avenue) aged 23 years old.
Alice Julia (Julia) Chapman (née Constable) (13 June 1860 – 3 February 1944)
Julia was born in Warwick, and baptised at St. Nicholas’ Church on 6 July 1860. She lived with her father until his death and in 1891 was working as an assistant schoolmistress. Julia married Rev. Arthur Valentine Chapman (1871-1912) on 28 June 1893 at St. Matthew’s Church. Arthur was ordained in 1900 and served as a curate in Shoebury, Essxex (1901) before being appointed Rector of Stainton-le-Vale, and Vicar of Kirmond-le-Mire in Lincolnshire (1902). In 1910 Arthur was appointed Vicar of Bottesford, Lincolnshire and in 1911 he and Julia were living at the Vicarage in Bottesford with general servant Eva Taylor. Julia was widowed in December 1912 when Arthur died in a nursing home in Lincoln aged 41 years old. She returned to live in Cambridge at 52 Maid’s Causeway (1921-1927) and 36 Parsonage Street (1928-1938). In 1939 she was living alone at 36 Newmarket Road, and died at at Chesterton Hospital.
CFHS transcripts of parish and census records
Ancestry resources: birth records, death records and census records
By Mary Naylor (with some additional information by Claire Martinsen)