CFHS code : AL482

Parish : St Andrew the Less

Inscription : In Loving Memory of EMMA REDFARN d Oct 30 1942 aged 82 erected by JOSEPH & MARY REDFARN

Monument : Kerb stones

Above information from Cambridge Family History Society Survey

Monument

This set of kerbstones was recorded by CHFHS as being to the west of the path that leads from the Norfolk St gate in th north of the cemetery. It has not yet been found

Inscription

The kerbstones in October 2025.

west kerb
In Loving Memory of

north kerb
EMMA REDFARN died October 30th 1942 aged 82

east kerb
S.S.R.    M.A.R.  G.R.

south kerb
erected by JOSEPH & MARY REDFARN

Emma Redfarn (2 December 1859 – 30 October 1942)

Emma was born in East Road, Cambridge,  She was the youngest daughter of butcher & Cow keeper Joseph Redfarn (1819-1867) and Mary (née Summers) (1820-1866).  She had seven siblings, and both her parents had died by the time she was six years old. In August 1868t was reported in the Cambridge Chronicle that a Mr Ellis boot closer of Church St was to look after 3 of the children as stated in George Redfarn’s will. Mr Ellis was applying for relief as the 6 cows left by Joseph were not enough to sustain the family. t seems that the elder boys did manage to continue the butchery business as 3 years later 20 year old Joseph is married and has 3 of his brothers loving with him in Nelson St.

Aged 11 she was  living at The New Orphan Houses (also known as Muller Home) in Ashley Down, Bristol. The orphanage consisted of 5 buildings and held 2,050 children at one time. It had been founded by George Muller, who wanted to prove that God not only existed by that he heard and anwered prayer.  He ran the orphanage along Christian principles, but his only stipulation for admission was that the child be born in wedlock, that both parents were dead and that the child was in needy circumstances. Compared to workhouses, the home was well run and offered the children opportunities for education and future employment.

By 1881 Emma had returned to live at 11a Ferry Path, Cambridge and was working as a domestic servant to Charles and Eliza Lawrence. She moved to London and worked as a laundress at a Banardo’s Home in Hackney (1891) before once more returning to Cambridge to live at 79 Gwydir Street where she worked as a laundress (1901). She worked with Florence Wing, who was a lodger, and by 1911 both women were living at 7 Priory Road, Abbey Estate. The pair later lived at 10 Malcolm Street (1928), and in 1939 Emma was living at 9 Mackenzie Road with Kate Wing, Florence Wing’s sister. She was noted on the records of 1939 as being incapacitiated and died aged 82 years old.

The initials on the east kerb are believed to refer to 3 siblings of Emma –  Sarah Summers Redfarn who died in January 1855 aged 5, Mary Ann Redfarn who died in January 1856 aged 4 and George Redfarn who died in December 1861 aged 8 months. They are all listed in the AL burial register so It is possible that they are buried here.  Their parents Joseph & Mary Redfarn are also buried in this parish

Her nephew Joseph Redfarn is also buried at Mill Road Cemetery, and is believed to be the Joseph referenced in the engraving.

Sources:

Ancestry

Wikepedia

by Claire Martinsen

[If you have any information about this person, please contact us at Friendsofmillroadcemetery@gmail.com]

Emma Redfarn